270C Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, Wisconsin 53706
Mollie McQuillan is an Assistant Professor in Educational Leadership and Policy Analysis. Dr. McQuillan examines the intersection of educational policy, social relationships, and health of gender-expansive students and educators.
- PhD Human Development and Social Policy, Northwestern University, 2019
- MA Human Development and Social Policy, Northwestern University, 2014
- MAT Teaching, University of Saint Thomas, 2005
- AB Political Science, University of Chicago, 2000
- McQuillan, M. T., Eckes, S., & Lewis, A. A Solution in Search of Problem: Justice Demands More for Trans Student-Athletes to Fulfill the Promise of Title IX.. Marquette Law Journal, 107(1)
- McQuillan, M. T. (2022). A starting point: Gender, hot cognition, and trans-informed administrative guidance. Educational Researcher, 51(5), 336-351. SAGE Publications Online Publication/Abstract.
- McQuillan, M. T., Miller, A., McDade, T., Kuhns, L., & Garofalo, R. (2021). Gender minority stress and inflammation in transgender and gender-nonconforming youth. Transgender Health, 6(2), 91-100. Online Publication/Abstract.
- McQuillan, M. T., & Leininger, J. (2021). Supporting gender-inclusive schools: Educators’ beliefs about gender diversity training and implementation plans. Professional Development in Education, 47(1), 156-176. Online Publication/Abstract.
- Adam, E. K., Quinn, M. E., Tavernier, R., McQuillan, M. T., Dahlke, K., & Gilbert, K. (2017). Diurnal Cortisol Slopes and Mental and Physical Health Outcomes: A Systematic Review and Meta-analysis. Psychoneuroendocrinology, 83, 25-41. Online Publication/Abstract.
- McQuillan, M. T., & Mayo, C. School Leaders and Transphobia: Direct, Facilitative, Accommodating, and Resistant Bullying. Paper Symposium presented at the University Council of Educational Administration, Seattle, Washington.
- McQuillan, M. T., Súarez, M., Keenan, H., & Iskander, L. Do policies and leadership matter to the satisfaction, safety, health, and wellbeing of PK-12 trans school workers?: Initial findings from the Trans Workers in Schools Project. Paper Symposium presented at the Association for Education Finance and Policy, Denver, Colorado.
- McQuillan, M. T., Gong, X., Gill, E., Herdina, J., & Hohs, S. Creating LGBTQ+-Inclusive Schools: An Evaluation of Inclusivity Professional Development Program on Academic Achievement and Disciplinary Actions. Paper Symposium presented at the University Council of Educational Administration, Columbus, Ohio.
- McQuillan, M. T., & Mathisen, K. Pathways to LGBTQ+ Policy Reforms: Examining District Adoption of Statewide Legislative and Executive Reforms. Roundtable session presented at the American Educational Research Association, Virtual Platform.
- McQuillan, M. T. Transgender Studies in Education: Taking responsibility for harms in schools and charting a new path forward. Presidential Session presented at the American Educational Research Association, Virtual Platform.
- McQuillan, M. T., Anderson, J., & Gandy-Fastovich, L. (2023, April). Sometimes It's Hard to Do the Right Thing": From Gender-Inclusive to Resistant Leadership Approaches to Gender-Diversity Reforms. Paper Symposium presented at the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- McQuillan, M. T., Lebovitz, B., & Harbin, L. (2023, April). A Title IX Compliance Case Study: Downstream Gender Identity Nondiscrimination and a Federal Court Decision. Paper Roundtable presented at the American Educational Research Association, Chicago, IL.
- McQuillan, M. T., Iskander, L., Súarez, M., & Keenan, H. (2022, November). Using CritQuant to Understand Factors that Influence Trans School Workers' Safety and Satisfaction. Paper Symposium presented at the University Council of Educational Administration, Seattle, WA.
- McQuillan, M. T. (2019, April). People Are Still Working It Out in Their Minds": A Mixed-Methods Description of the Policy Landscape for Gender-Expansive Students and Administrative Framing. Paper presented at the American Educational Research Association Annual Meeting, Toronto, ON.
- McQuillan, M. T. (2018, November). Beyond Bathrooms: School District Policies and Administrative Guidance Related to Gender-Expansive Youth. Paper presented at the Association for Public Policy Analysis and Management Meeting, Washington, D.C..
Select Awards and Honors
- Outstanding Educational Policy Report Award (short), AERA Division L: Educational Politics and Policy, 2023
- Outstanding Emerging Scholar Award, AERA Division A: Administration, Organization, and Leadership, 2023
- Vilas Life Cycle Professorship, University of Wisconsin – Madison Women in Science & Engineering Leadership Institute, (2021–2023)
- Advancing Health Equity and Diversity Pilot Award, Institute for Clinical and Translational Research, (2020–2022)
- Trans Studies in Education: Building a Field of Research Pilot Learning Community, Spencer Foundation, (2019–2022)
- Invited Speaker, American Educational Research Association (AERA) Presidential Session, Transgender Studies in Education: Taking Responsibility for Harms in Schools and Charting a New Path Forward, 2021
- Post-Doctoral Fellowship Semi-Finalist, Spencer Foundation, 2021
- Madison Education Partnership Research Award, UW Madison Education Partnership, (2019–2021)
- Administration, Organization, and Leadership Outstanding Dissertation Award Honorable Mention, AERA Division A, 2020
- Division A Outstanding Dissertation Award Honorable Mention, American Educational Research Association (AERA), 2020