Jerlando F. L. Jackson
Vilas Distinguished Professor, Department Chair
270-D Education Building
1000 Bascom Mall
Madison, WI 53706-1326
- Flowers, L. A., Jackson, J. F. L., & Bridges, B. K. (In Press). Influences on precollege students’ use of study strategies. In T. Huber (Ed.), Storied inquiries in international landscapes an anthology of educational research Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Chen, J. A., Tutwiler, M., & Jackson, J. F. L. (2020). Mixed-reality simulations to build capacity for advocating for diversity, equity, and inclusion in the Geosciences. Journal of Diversity in Higher Education Online Publication/Abstract.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Charleston, L. J., & Gilbert, C. (2017). Advancing equity and diversity in student affairs: A Festschrift in honor of Melvin C. Terrell. Charlotte, NC: Information Age Publishing.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Charleston, L. J., Lewis, C. W., & Gilbert, J. E. (2017). Arizona's rising STEM occupational demands and declining participation in the scientific workforce: An examination of attitudes among African Americans toward STEM college majors and careers.. Texas Education Review, 5(2), 91-111.
- Jackson, J. F. L., O'Callaghan, E. M., & Leon, R. A. (2014). Measuring glass ceiling effects in higher education: Opportunities and challenges. New Directions for Institutional Research Jossey-Bass Press.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Charleston, L. J., Gilbert, J. E., & Seals, C. (2013). Changing attitudes about computing science at historically black colleges and universities: Benefits of an intervention program designed for undergraduates. Journal of African American Studies, 17, 162-173.
- Jackson, J. F. L., & O'Callaghan, E. M. (2011). Understanding employment disparities using glass ceiling effects criteria: An examination of race/ethnicity and senior-level position attainment across the academic workforce. Journal of the Professoriate, 5(2), 67-99.
- Jackson, J. F. L., (2010). Enlarging our understanding of glass ceiling effects with social closure theory in higher education. In J. C. Smart (Ed.), Higher Education: Handbook of theory and research, 25 (pp. 351-379). London/New York: Springer.
- Jackson, J. F. L., & O'Callaghan, E. M. (2009). What do we know about glass ceiling effects? A taxonomy and critical review to inform higher education research. Research in Higher Education, 50(460-482)
- Jackson, J. F. L., & O'Callaghan, E. M. (2008). How diverse has computer science faculty become during the past decade (1993-2004)?. IEEE Computer, 41, 104-107.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Wolf-Wendel, L., & Martinez-Aleman, A. M. (2019, November - 2019, November). Academic Leadership Pathways: A Conversation with Academic. Panel presented at the Association for the Study of Higher Education.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2019, October - 2019, October). Disrupting Educational Disparities, Segregation, and Mass Incarceration: Hidden Battle Grounds for Black Males. presented at the Exploring Education Disparities in the State of Wisconsin: Catalyzing Opportunities for Engaged Scholarship.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2019, August - 2019, August). Seminar on the Leadership of Faculty. presented at the Harvard Institutes, Cambridge, MA.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2019, May - 2019, May). Alma (or Neglegentia) Mater: The Black Collegiate Experience. Keynote/Plenary Address presented at the People of Nia Commencement Ceremony, Iowa State University.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2019, April - 2019, April). Developing While Avoiding Pitfalls in Managing Educational Research Centers and Programs. presented at the American Educational Research Association, Toronto, Canada.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Byars-Winston, A., Diamond, J., & Dixson, A. D. (2019, March - 2019, March). Balancing the Politics of Race in Higher Education. Panel presented at the Legacy Conference honoring Dr. Gloria Ladson-Billings, UW Madison.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2019, February - 2019, February). Making Evidence-Based Networks through Online Resources. Expert Panel presented at the Committee on the Science of Effective Mentoring in STEMM, Nasheville, TN.
- Jackson, J. F. L., & Charleston, L. (2018, November - 2018, November). African American Males’ Attitudes Toward the Scientific Workforce: Implications for Educational and Occupational Decision Making Toward STEM. presented at the ASHE General Conference.
- Jackson, J. F. L., Lewis, C., Charleston, L., & Watson, J. (2018, November - 2018, November). Navigating Possibilities: African American Males, The Workforce, and the New Millennial. presented at the International Conference on Urban Education, Nassau, Bahamas.
- Jackson, J. F. L. (2018, September - 2018, September). Schedule iAAMCS Guidelines for Succesfully Mentoring Black/African-American Computing Sciences Ph.D. Students. presented at the Tapia Conference, Orlando, FL.
Select Awards and Honors
- 200 Most Influential Education Scholar, Education Week, 2019
- Mildred Garcia Award for Exemplary Scholarship, Council for Ethnic Participation, Association for the Study of Higher Education, 2018
- Nine Distinguished Educators that Are Making a Mark, Diverse Issues in Higher Education, 2018
- Alumni Achievement Award, College of Human Sciences, Iowa State University, 2017
- Michael G. Morris Endowed Chair (Visiting Position), College of Education, Eastern Michigan University, (2014, 2015)
- Brown Award for Excellence in Higher Education and Community Service, Charles Hamilton Houston Institute, 2014
- Carlos J. Vallejo Memorial Award for Exemplary Scholarship, Multicultural/Multiethnic Education Special Interest Group, American Educational Research Association, 2012
- Outstanding Young Professional, Alumni Association, Iowa State University, 2012
- Distinguished Scholar Award, Committee on Scholars of Color, American Educational Research Association, 2011
- Junior Scholar Award, Association for the Study of Higher Education's Council on Ethnic Participation (CEP), 2006